How To Become A DoorDasher In 2022 Eligibility Career Scope
Apps have become a key part of our modern lives. We can do almost everything with them, from virtual appointments with our doctors, to staying organized at work, to paying bills on the go. These days, we can even use apps to make most of our income, which is what a lot of DoorDash drivers do for a living — or to make a little extra income without having to take on another full-time job.
Like Uber Eats and Postmates, DoorDash is an app-based food delivery service that offers flexible hours when you want them. It’s an easy way to earn extra money on top of your regular job just by having a roadworthy vehicle and a clean driving record. But while those elements of the job are certainly appealing, DoorDash isn’t for everyone. Learn more about DoorDash job opportunities to decide if driver registration is right for you.
Want to earn some extra cash?
You can deliver when it suits you – during the day, evening or weekend. Plus, there are no minimum hours required and you keep 100% of your tips.
With DoorDash, you can choose which deliveries work best for you. And because DoorDash works with so many different restaurants, you’re sure to find something nearby that you can deliver from quickly and easily.
However, becoming a DoorDash delivery driver is not as easy as it may seem. It can be a bit of a process and there are a few things you need to know before you get started.
Keep reading to find out how to become a DoorDash and if DoorDash is right for you!
Reasons to become a Dasher
There are many positive reasons why becoming a DoorDash driver is worth it:
- Create extra income for your family
- Set your own schedule
- Work harder when needed, rest when needed
- Make up for lost work
- Use it to help you between main tasks
DoorDash Driver Requirements
- You must be over 18 years old
- You must have a valid driver’s license
- You must have Smartphone
- You must have to a vehicle
- If your vehicle requires insurance, you must obtain a policy that meets your
- state’s minimum insurance requirements
- Must pass background check (includes motor vehicle inspection)
- Finally, you must complete an in-person or online orientation process
DoorDash Vehicle Requirements
The DoorDash does not have vehicle requirements like Uber or Lyft. If you have a clean driving record and a vehicle with insurance, you can become a Dasher and deliver for DoorDash.
Allowed vehicle types
Any type of vehicle that is used to transport you and your food pickup works for DoorDash purposes.
You can use:
You can even use a set of two tracks if you live in a concentrated urban area such as:
- Washington DC
- Los Angeles
- New York
DoorDash Insurance Requirements
DoorDash insurance requirements mandate that you have minimum liability coverage on a motorcycle, truck, or automobile. By the way, DoorDash also provides coverage for Dashers.
Coverage only applies if you are in “delivery active” status, meaning you still have delivery items.
DoorDash’s commercial insurance covers up to $1 million for property damage and bodily injury.
How to drive for DoorDash
DoorDash is an app-based delivery service that people use to order food from local restaurants. Dashers (drivers) can choose orders to deliver; after selection, they pick up the order from the restaurant and deliver it to the place of the person who placed it.
DoorDash lets you be your own boss. When you sign up as a Dasher, you are in control of how many hours you work per day, what orders you deliver, and how much money you ultimately earn. You can deliver locally or as far as you are willing to travel within reason. Customers can rate Dashers from one to five stars, so your performance can dictate your rating. If it drops low enough, DoorDash can deactivate your account and end your ability to make money from deliveries.
To become a Dasher you must have access to a car and a smartphone and be over 18 years of age. If you meet the eligibility criteria, the application process is quick and easy and you can complete it online. If everything is fine and your data is correct, it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. The steps below describe the process.
- The first step is go to DoorDash Website and create a account
Once this information is verified, a link will be displayed to continue the registration process.
- If you successfully complete the first step, you will receive a welcome notification that will allow you to proceed to the next stage of the application process.
- The next step is to provide details about the car you have access to. Once you have found your vehicle, you need to fill in additional car details.
- You must then agree to conduct a general inspection of you and the vehicle you have registered with DoorDash. This will look for traffic offenses and other personal information and may determine your eligibility to drive for this service.
- If you check your creditworthiness and meet the company’s expectations, you’re ready to add your bank account details to your profile to receive payments.
- This completes your application and you are ready to complete your first delivery. You will also receive a welcome pack within 10 working days.
How much can you earn as a DoorDash driver?
Due to the flexibility of driving for DoorDash, the amount each Dasher earns is up to the individual. If you become a full-time Dasher working 40 or more hours per week, you can earn between $800 and $1,000 per week – the interval in which you usually get paid.
DoorDash offers you the potential to make a living delivering food to the public. However, this is very much dependent on demand and silent spells where you won’t deliver are common. Lunch and dinner hours are usually the busiest, so if you can’t work during those times, you may not earn as much as you expect.
If you want to get paid earlier than weekly, you can use the Fast Pay function. To use this system, you must have a debit card and pay a $1.99 transfer fee. DasherDirect is another option that involves storing all of your earnings on a Visa business card.
What are the pros and cons of DoorDash?
However, there are a few downsides to consider before making the commitment.
- You can earn a lot if you are willing to put in the hours.
- You can choose when you want to work or not, which helps you achieve a better work-life balance or run your own side gig.
- Working as a Dasher can involve hours spent sitting in your car and driving in traffic, which can take a toll on your car (and possibly your stress levels).
- If there are no local food deliveries in your area, you have to drive to a hotspot full of restaurants that need to deliver food to customers.
- The base pay of certain deliveries can be low, meaning many Dashers depend on tips to make the work pay.
Before you decide if DoorDash is for you, visit the DoorDash website to learn more. That answers the questions of how you can expect Dashing to launch. Additionally, reading independent DoorDash reviews from other Dashers can help you understand how to provide DoorDash services and how to use DoorDash to your advantage. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether driving for DoorDash is the right decision for your weekly schedule and your work goals.
What mode of transport can you use?
There are several different modes of transportation that you can use, depending on what makes the most sense for you.
- Drive a car – If you decide to use a car, it must be in good working order, have valid insurance and current registration. A clean driving record is also a must as you represent DoorDash as an employee.
- Use a bike or motorcycle – If you decide to use a bicycle or motorcycle, you should also make sure that it is in good condition. That means good tires, inner tubes, and you’ll probably need some way to secure your deliveries, especially if you have multiple products to drop off on one trip.
A minimal sized insulated food storage backpack is the perfect choice to keep your cargo safe and organized.
Once you are approved as a dasher, you can start taking deliveries and start earning money. You will receive customer orders through the app and earn money instantly!
Is DoorDash safe?
Yes, DoorDash is secure. It’s a legitimate grocery delivery service, just like Amazon is a legitimate product delivery service. Food delivery is inherently low-risk.
You simply walk into a restaurant, pick up your customer’s order, drive to the customer’s home or office, and then hand them their bag.
The company also makes liberal use of safety features such as contactless delivery to ensure the safety of both drivers and customers.
Can I start DoorDash right away?
You can start driving for DoorDash the moment you go through the application process and officially become a Dasher.
This happens when you are approved, which may take some time to go through the approval process.
How long does it take to get approved for DoorDash?
In most cases, the entire approval process takes between five and 10 business days.
Most DoorDash reviews are processed within 5-7 days.
There are over 3,000 counties in the United States, and there is no formal criminal records database that allows easy searches across all counties.
If you have any prior offenses for Checkr to process, expect your background check to take around 10 days.
The processing time for a motor vehicle records check depends on the state in which you live.
Some states report in a few days, while others take more than a week to create a report.
There is one way to speed up the seriousness check.
Make sure you don’t use any weird nicknames when you sign up on the DoorDash website.
Use your full name as it appears on your tax returns, for example.
Is DoorDash worth it?
Now that we’ve learned how to become a DoorDasher and discussed the security of DoorDash, it’s time to answer the question, is DoorDash worth it?
The best way to find out is to try it for a week or a few days to see how you like it. If you don’t like it, you can always stop.
Be sure to consider all the factors that will affect your earnings, including base pay, gas costs, tips and tipping.
You should also consider how much time you’re willing to put in and whether you’re okay with working at peak times.
Overall, DoorDash is worth it for those willing to work hard and have the right mindset.
However, if you are looking for something more stable and don’t want to deal with unpredictability, you might be better off finding another job opportunity in other money making apps.
What does the DoorDash background check look for?
DoorDash uses a background check to review your personal records and any criminal convictions.
Checkr is a background check company that DoorDash uses to screen all potential Dasher applicants.
Using your social security number and address, Checkr will investigate everything about your past.
When you agree to be screened, you agree that DoorDash can disqualify you for any offenses they don’t like in your personal history.
DoorDash’s background check covers all possible criminal issues.
If you sign up to use a car, truck, or motorcycle to deliver for DoorDash customers, the background check will perform a full motor vehicle search.
Is it easy to be a DoorDash delivery driver?
Relatively speaking, yes, it is easy to work as a DoorDash driver.
You simply pick up and deliver the food.
How many breaks can you take with DoorDash?
You can take a break of up to 35 minutes during each shift.
You can take it in minute chunks or all at once.
If you exceed this time, your shift will end.